PDA

View Full Version : Revolutionary war

G. W. Gill
11-30-2007, 04:29 PM
:wh What is the best venue for selling an artillery projectile from the eighteenth century. Auction house, Ebay ? I do not wan't to specify what it is at the moment because I don't have any expertise in the field. Don't wan't to create a commotion I can't control as I have seen on other forums. Many thanks to those that reply. I am a little out of my area of interest. :-? :D

PCGeorge
12-02-2007, 11:58 AM
G.W. Gill wrote:
>What is the best venue for selling an artillery projectile from the eighteenth century. Auction house, Ebay ?
>I do not wan't to specify what it is at the moment because I don't have any expertise in the field.

Listing it on Ebay will get you the widest "exposure." Just be sure you provide accurate descriptive details, such as PRECISE measurements of its weight and very-exact size. (Typical household bathroom-scales are notoriously inaccurate.) The item's precise measurements are super-important for enabling potential buyers to be sure the item is "the real thing." For example, I see a LOT of iron balls for sale at Ebay and Auction-houses that are NOT actaul cannonballs ...because they don't match up with any of the precise specifications for cannonball diameters and weights in the Ordnance Manual.

I also see a lot of Exercise Dumbells being advertised as a Revolutionary War Bar-Shot.
Every actual Bar-Shot I've seen that was excavated from an American location had a square-bodied bar, made of wrought-iron, which was inserted into cast-iron balls on each end. That being said, I've also seen a couple of bar-shot excavated in EUROPE from French shipwrecks which had a round wrought-iron bar. But if such an item is "one-piece solid-cast" it is a not a Bar-Shot.

Thus, I urge you to get your item Authenticated by no less than two top-level experts in Revolutionary War artillery projectiles before you try to sell it. I say "top-level experts" and also "no less than two [experts]" because I was contacted by a lady who thought she had a ball from the end of a Bar-Shot. If I recall correctly, she had showed it to a museum curator in the Norfolk VA area, who said it was a Bar-Shot ball. But, IF I recall correctly, the ball's diameter showed it wasn't the correct size to fit ANY known Revolutionary War or Civil War cannon.

Regards,
Pete [P.C. George]

G. W. Gill
12-03-2007, 12:30 AM
Many thanks PC. I do need to research more . My only tool for this is the computer. In a couple of weeks I will have retrieved it from the family home and weigh and measure it. I believe I have ID'd it. Now to get it authenticated and offered in the proper market. I am finding it to be a bit difficult with similar examples only in museums. :smile: