Thread: Need help with buton: CADET W.M.S. BackmarK: Scoville MGCO. SUPERFINE

Default Need help with buton: CADET W.M.S. BackmarK: Scoville MGCO. SUPERFINE

My buddy and I were digging yesterday in the western part of the state of Virginia where live and I dug a strange button I have no idea what it is: It is a two piece 100% gilted button that read: CADET above and below a building structure on the face are the letters:
    W.M.S. The backmark as the front very pristine/clean reads: SCOVILL MG.CO. SUPERFINE.
    My questions:

Is this period? I found this button along with a US belt plate, a NY Militia jacket button and dropped and fired bullets.

What doe the initials W.M.S represent? I this a Federal or Southern button?

Thanks

Wayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CADET utton.jpg   photo (2).jpg   CADET button face.jpg   CADET Button reverse.jpg  
    Last edited by wbindia; 12-06-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Welcome wbindia--a mystery indeed!

Tice’s book on “Uniform Buttons Of The United States,” lists this button under “Unidentified School Buttons.” Found on p. 517 (photo on p. 514) is the following
    information:

“US210 (Albert’s SU 432): W.M.S. (an unidentified military school button); low convex, two-piece. The specimen was excavated at a V Corps campsite in northern Carolina which was used after Lee’s surrender at Appomattox. Another example found in the collection of a Union office with a notation that it was given to him bya Confederate soldier after the surrender of Lee’s forces at Appomattox . . . A. A school building is on the lined field with “CADET” above and “W. M. S.” below, 21 mm. 1. “SCOVILL MG. CO / SUPERFINE” rmdc.”
    Horace

Thanks Dr. Beach-

It's pretty cool that I have dug my first military school button which turns out to be Confederate, my first and hopefully not my last!

Wayne